Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Rejected by Upper Room

So I thought I'd post this devotional here:

“For Crying Out Quiet”
Read Psalm 46
“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Ps. 46:10
Our world is addicted to noise. If the sounds of industry and traffic weren’t loud enough; cell phones and I-Pods add to the volume. I know I’m not much better. I avoid quiet. One of the first things I do when I come in the house is turn on the radio or TV. I’m even willing to vacuum when things become too quiet.
The world of Psalm 46 is not necessarily a quiet one. In the Psalm earthquakes bring down mountains, the oceans roar, and kingdoms crumble. But in the midst of it all, God wants to be heard. He could, of course, out roar the turbulence, the waters and nations. But God prefers the whisper to the shout. By his power He could speak over the distractions of the world. But He would rather that we took the time to hush the distractions, and wait for Him to speak, often through His Written Word.
So take the time to turn off the noise of the world, quiet ourselves and hear His Still Small Voice.


Thought for the Day
Usually the problem is not God’s silence, rather our lack of listening.
Prayer Focus: To be attentive to God’s voice.

No comments: