Thursday, December 26, 2013

2013 Books I Read in 2013


Goodreads reminded me of the books I read in 2013. It excluded the children's books and graphic novels and said I read about an even hundred. These are the books that I read that were published this year:

Nonfiction:

7 Men by Eric Metaxas

Between Man and Beast: An Unlikely Explorer and the African Adventure that Took the Victorian World by Storm by Monte Reel

The Deserters by Charles Glass

The Friedkin Connection by William Friedkin

Gulp by Mary Roach

Heads in Beds by Jacob Tomsky

How to Pray When You’re Pissed at God by Ian Punnett

Lincoln Unbound by Rich Lowry

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain


Fiction:

Dexter’s Final Cut by Jeff Lindsay

Evil Eye by Joyce Carol Oates (Short stories)

Identical by Scott Turow

Joyland by Stephen King

Never Go Back by Lee Child

Nine Inches by Tom Perrotta (Short stories)

Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan

Many of these books I reviewed over the year here at my blog. "Nine Inches" was probably my favorite new fiction I read this year. "How to Pray" by Punnett may well be my favorite new nonfiction book of the year (with "Man and Beast" as my favorite history book, if catagories were divided further), but Goodreads doesn't list a great book I read that comes out December 31; "The Adam Quest: Eleven Scientists Who Held on to a Strong Faith While Wrestling with the Mystery of Human Origins" by Tim Stafford. It's a great book and I'll review it soon. (I also started "Welcome to Paradise, Now Go to Hell" by Chas Smith.)

No comments: