Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Why I liked "Sycamore Row", John Grisham's recent novel


Reading this book I was one over again by Grisham's ability to keep one turning pages. I'm making no argument for great literature, but right now JG and Lee Child are the two writers who best keep me wondering what happens next.
And I love how Grisham's faith is just a part of his writing. The protagonist, Jake Brigance, has a daily devotional time. No big deal is made of it, it's just there. An incident of a car wreck includes victim forgiving because it is what Christ would have them do. No big deal, just part of the story.

I remember hearing at a writer's conference that Grisham first sent his work to Christian publishers but they turned him down because of the harsh content. I'm so glad they did.

No comments: