Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Favorite Books of 2008

The Year of Living Biblically
by A.J. Jacobs

This was my favorite new book last year. It was the second book I’ve read by Jacobs. The first was The Know-It-All in which Jacobs described his adventure of trying to read the Encyclopedia Britannica in a year. That project introduced this secular Jew to many new sections of Scripture and theological concepts.
So he decided to take another year of his life to try to live out the precepts of Scripture; eight months for the Old Testament and four months for the New Testament. I think the project began as an attempt to show the folly of Biblical fundamentalism and literalism. But Jacob was honest with himself and found that in many ways the Good Book changed him for the better.
I was also impressed that he realized that he could not live out the New Testament unless he accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior.
He encounters people of various religious perspectives and practices. And he treat most all with respect (with the possible exception of some vile anti-Semites.)
I look forward to more books by Jacobs. His humility and humor are charming. He’ll also be in my prayers that his faith journey will continue.
(This is the first of my very short series reviewing the books I read last year.)

No comments: