Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Senior Year Poems

In my high school senior year I took Creative Writing. One of the assignments was "I Used to Be" Poems. Here is the sad result of that exercise:

DUMB POEM

I used to be
an apple
sitting on
a tree

Then came
the real, big
bomb,
there' nothing
left of me.

IN FLIGHT

I used to be
and air sickness bag
Above the seat
content,
Until we hit
the turbulence
And her stomach
went
Stewardess throws
me out the door
Down
Down
Down
Till I finally hit
a lovely New England
town.

MAIN STREET

I used to be an oak
who was proud, bold
and free
(for a tree)
But then came
along a dog
who stole my
dignity.

EDUCATION YEARS

I used to be
a child
with a
towel for our nap
K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,
7, 8, 9,
10, 11, 12
In ways I'm still
a child,
but with a square,
grad cap.

CANDLE

I used
to be a candle,
relating to
my wick;
Now I
am a burnout
you see drugs
are my shtick.

No comments: