Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Christmas Skit a Day for the First Week of Advent



“Who’s Who in Whoville?” (Performed at Felton Bible Church)

Setting: A High School Study Group in someone's living room

Cast: Shawn, Beth, Joel, Biff and little girl

Joel: OK, let’s get down to work. As we approach this book, we need to answer the important questions. The “What’s” and “Why’s” of this book. I assume we have all read the book.

Biff: I haven’t completely got through it. I did read the jacket cover.

Shawn: I’ve been pretty busy with the Christmas shopping.

Beth: You guys haven’t had time to read “How the Grinch Stole Christmas?”

Biff: I saw the movie.

Shawn: I saw the movie and the cartoon too, and we all know the basic story. This ugly green guy steals these people‘s, or Who’s, or whatever’s Christmas stuff, but they still sing “Bah-hoo Doray” anyway.

Joel: OK. Let’s start with the theme. What do you think Dr. Seuss, or more properly, Theodore Geisel, was trying to convey with this story. I believe it is an assault on consumerism and the rampant commercialization of the holidays.

Beth: Why do you say “holidays”? The book is not called “How the Grinch Stole the Holidays”?

Joel: Well, I don’t want to offend anyone.

Shawn: I myself am offended to have to do this stupid project just before vacation.

Biff: I’m offended there’s nothing to eat here.

Joel: Could we please get back to the subject. What do you think is the point of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”?

Biff: Is it that Jim Carrey is funny?

Shawn: I think the point is that he isn’t funny. Or is it that you shouldn’t trust people dressed Santa?

Joel: Beth, do you have anything intelligent to add to the conversation?

Beth: If you don’t mind, I’ve got someone who could help us out on this.

(Very small girl enters in nightgown and hair up like a Who from the Seuss book.)

Joel: Say... That’s not who I think it is, is it?

Beth: Yes, I’d like you to meet Cindy Lou Who, who is now more than two.

Cindy Lou: But not much more than two.

Biff: If you’re really Cindy Lou Who, than tell us… Is Jim Carrey as funny off screen as he is onscreen?

Beth: Cindy Lou, could us why Whos could still celebrate even though the Grinch stole your Christmas things?

Cindy Lou: ‘Cause it was Christmas. The Grinch could take the other presents, but he couldn’t take the most important thing about Christmas, Jesus Christ entering the world.

Joel: Now wait a minute here. The book never said anything about Jesus.

Biff: Neither did the movie.

Shawn: Or even the cartoon.

Cindy Lou: Yes, the networks and children’s publishers were all concerned about getting complaints. But the day is Christmas; it is about Christ. He is the gift no one can steal away.

Joel: I don’t know if we can write that in a report for school. As I said we need to answer the “What’s” and “Why’s” of Christmas.

Cindy Lou: But don’t you see? Christmas isn’t about the what’s of Christmas, like presents. Or even so much about the whys. Back in Whoville, it’s always about the whos. And the most important Who, is Jesus.

Joel: But is that something we can put in a report?

Beth: We better. I think what I’ve learned is that the Grinchest thing we can do is to leave Christ out of Christmas.

No comments: